Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Where Is Your Yoga When The Shit Hits The Fan?


Starting this article off by saying, that I am no saint what so ever and I am in no way a "perfect yogini" or a "perfect christian".
With that being said.... What the hell man?!?
Over the past couple of years I have spent A LOT of time with yogis. Some that are blissed out of their minds I need to tug on their balloon string to bring them back down to earth just to have a conversation with them.
But some other yogis.....ehhhhh, it's more like tugging on their dynomate wick.
I am so surprised by the lack of patience, explosive behavior, or negative attitudes some yogis have. Again, just because you teach yoga or practice yoga, does not mean you have been granted the mother Theresa gene.
Some of the benefits we obtain and learn in yoga are:


  • Improved Breathing
  • Increased Focus
  • Better Balance
  • Reduced Stress
  • Reduced Anxiety
  • Decreased Depression



With that being said, Where is your yoga when the shit hits the fan?
We are not using ANY of the techniques that our yoga practice is teaching us. I have a HUGE fear of flying and my one friend said, "Just use your yoga breath"
My response, "Screw yoga breath!"
That's because I was in such a stressed state, I didn't focus on my over 10 years of practicing all over the world. No, I just focused on the "shitty" situation I was in.
But once I got on the plane.. I started to use a drishti technique that actually worked for me!
Remember:
Yoga Chitta Vritti Nirodha
"yoga is the cessation of the fluctuations of the mind"
So next time you find your self having to wait for a menu at a resturant, the stop light is too long or someone has displeasing behavior, first acknowledge it with your current emotion, and then use your yogic techniques. Yoga is not about all the fancy gymnastics you can do and all the pretty pictures you can take. Yoga is an all day, everyday, on the mat , off the mat,  practice.
"Your yoga is a refelection of your life and your life is a refelction of your yoga"
-BreaYoga

No comments:

Post a Comment