Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Journal: One Of The Most Important Things You Can Do In Your Life



I never was the "Dear Diary" type. Once in awhile I would write in my diary. It never really became a regular habit.
Not until I graduated college...
I noticed that putting down my thoughts and ideas was a great way to release anger or secrets I didn't feel like sharing.
As the years have gone by, it has developed into something even more meaningful. It is now my life documented in a book. With all of my traveling, I make it a point to jot down the days events. I have also been carrying around a Travel Journal. To date, It has been to 7 countries with more than 50 passages of people from around the world. People I may have just met for 2 days in a hostel or someone I had a 2 hour flight with.
I have now been encouraging my students to journal. On our Panama Yoga Retreat, I got everyone a journal. It was so great to see everyone taking time out at the end of the day to journal their experience!
And what do you do when you are too tired from surfing, zip lining, or volcano hiking??
Simple
Two Words.
Thats It
Two Words.
You take your days experience and write down the center of the page with just two words to describe the experience.
Here is an entry from my personal journal when I was in Africa:
Nairobi Kenya
Slum Visit
Surf Board
Meet Stephanie
Almond Butter
I Cry
On Bus
Arm Pit
High Five
Lasagna Dinner
Couples Mission
Leading To
Am I
Being Set
Up For
This Path
Relationship Hope
Man Voice
Coyote Pee
Essential Oils.
I know none of that made sense to you, but those quick phrases, brings me right back.
I encourage you to start a journal and maybe even a travel journal.


“For any writer who wants to keep a journal, be alive to everything, not just to what you're feeling, but also to your pets, to flowers, to what you're reading.” 
― May Sarton

No comments:

Post a Comment