Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A Mountain Of Respect

In the past 3 months I have been to Panama, Costa Rica, Africa, Canada and Vermont. Holy crap that looks crazy in writing! Each country, a different experience, different people, and different emotions.  I just recently got back from Canada/Vermont and that is what I will focus on for this article.

Vermont.

That's when it hit me. I used to live in southern Vermont for a short period of time. The town was Ludlow. Awesome area, right by the Okemo Mountain. This time I was in Stowe for a 2 day visit. I decided to go there after doing my SUP Yoga certification in Canada. YEH I LOVE SUP!! I wanted time to reflect and spend time in nature. I decided to go on a hike. I spent the first day researching and then going to outfitters talking to locals on where to go. Seeing as how I am a solo traveler, hiking by yourself is not the brightest idea. And I didn't want to do anything to hard because, well, IM BY MYSELF!

What do I end up doing... The Hellbrook Trail! Look it up...It's crazy. When I went, it was raining. So there were a lot of muddy spots, creeks to cross, slippery rocks to climb. All this equals scariness for me. Well, at least it used to. When I hiked the trail, I felt like new pathways were being formed in my brain. I had to think in a whole new way that I had not been thinking in a long time. "Put hand here" "Move foot there" "Watch for the edge". These thoughts ran through my mind constantly all while gasping for air in the elevation. But I didn't want to stop! I am a goal orientated person and a long distance runner...so I don't think I would ever stop.

After finishing the climb...it was 3 hours. I came down with a massive grin on my face. And then, the sun came out. Wait, no , that was just an awesome thought I had:

"Brianne, look what you just did, BY YOURSELF!! You are amazing, do you realize you are starting to  overcome your fear of falling? Way to go!"

And that's when it hit me. For the first time in my life, I actually Respected myself. Who knows, I may have prior, but never really acknowledged it. What a feeling it is, to truly respect yourself. Like, I still can't even put the feeling into words how amazing I feel about myself. This is a big deal for me because I come from a place of abuse and low self esteem/confidence. So I literally have a mountain of respect for myself in what I do in life and how I treat myself. Making sure I'm eating properly and keeping up my fitness and yoga.

                   Be Honest And True With Yourself: Do You Really Respect Yourself?
                                                                 R.E.S.P.E.C.T 
                                          FIND OUT WHAT IT MEANS, TO YOU


The Start


Still Have No Idea How I Climbed That!


Post Hellbrook Hike at Moss Glenn Falls..Just Getting A Drink Of Water.



No comments:

Post a Comment